HSF receives big grants for Fulton-Mock-Blackmer House
SALISBURY — Historic Salisbury Foundation has received several substantial donations from individuals and national foundations to assist with the stabilization of the 1820 Fulton-Mock-Blackmer House on South Fulton Street.
HSF purchased the house last July from Jonathan Blackmer, son of noted actor and Salisbury native, Sidney Blackmer.
HSF recently received a $50,000 grant from The 1772 Foundation to strengthen its revolving fund and to stabilize the Blackmer House.
Based in Connecticut, The 1772 Foundation supports historic preservation and farmland preservation projects and provides training for revolving fund managers throughout the country.
Historic Salisbury Foundation has operated a revolving fund since 1975. Buildings are purchased, stabilized and then sold to individuals with covenants to protect their historic character.
Money from the sale of the property is put into saving the next historic building. This program has played a major role in saving 100 buildings in the downtown and in historic neighborhoods throughout Salisbury.
In response to a nomination by Rusher Oil Co., British Petroleum Products of North America awarded HSF a grant of $12,500, from its BP Fueling Communities Program. This program allows marketers to support the communities they serve.
HSF will use the grant to educate the public about the importance and resources necessary for historic preservation. The foundation plans to feature the Fulton-Mock-Blackmer House as a rehabilitation-in-progress house on the 2013 OctoberTour, Oct. 12-13.
“Contributions from local individuals and national entities like BP Products North America and The 1772 Foundation show how important the Fulton-Mock-Blackmer House and historic preservation are for Salisbury and Rowan County,” says Brian Davis, executive director of HSF.
Dr. and Mrs. Dennis Hill and Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Lagg have made contributions which total $15,000 towards the project.
Historic Salisbury is working with preservation architect Joseph K. Oppermann to document and prepare a preservation plan for the structure. Architectural historian Davyd Foard Hood is researching the history of the Fulton-Mock-Blackmer House to better understand the house, its occupants and its evolution.
During their early stages, the Fulton-Mock-Blackmer House and the Dr. Josephus Hall House were nearly identical in form. Over time, windows, doors, porches and roofs of both houses were modified.
Many Salisburians remember the Blackmer House with its large Ionic columns and impressive front porch. The columns have been stored in the center hall of the house since a fire in December 1984.
Historic Salisbury Foundation will stabilize the structure, develop a preservation plan and sell it, so that restoration may be completed by the buyer. More information about plans for the Fulton-Mock-Blackmer House and about assisting with the project can be gained by calling HSF at 704-636-0103 or at email@example.com.