Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. Powles Staton Funeral Home in Rockwell collects toys throughout the year that are donated to military families for Christmas — specifically, the N.C. National Guard Family Readiness Program. What’s the name given to the funeral home’s effort?
A. Assignment: Toyland
B. Mission: Possible
C. Family Affair
D. Operation Toy Soldier
2. A development company, the TPA Group, has proposed construction of a 1.2 million-square-foot warehouse in Kannapolis. Near what intersection or in what location would this “Kannapolis Logistics Park” be built?
A. At the North Carolina Research Campus
B. Cannon Boulevard and N.C. 3
C. Kannapolis Parkway and Davidson Highway
D. Next to the Kannapolis Intimidators stadium
3. Chad Spencer, 30, an education student at Catawba College, developed and taught a five-week curriculum for eighth-graders at West Rowan Middle School. What was the course?
A. Self defense
B. Greek mythology
C. Modernist architecture
D. Classical composers
4. Christian Stebe, a seventh-grader at Sacred Heart Catholic School, spotted something this past Tuesday that led to a 911 emergency call. What did Stebe notice?
A. A cat stuck in a tree
B. A house on fire
C. A car floating in Grants Creek
D. A bear rooting through garbage behind the school
5. Damien Argrett, once a standout basketball player at South Rowan High, was inducted this past Friday into his college’s Sports Hall of Fame. Where did Argrett, now 34, attend college?
A. Pembroke State
6. A ruling by a panel of three federal judges means state legislators, including Reps. Harry Warren and Carl Ford and Sens. Andrew Brock and Tom McInnis, will have to do what in 2017?
A. Face re-election
B. Say no to campaign contributions from Duke Energy
C. Give up their per-diem expenses
D. Live in state-sponsored housing in Raleigh
7. This weekend, volunteers with the Marine Corps-sponsored Toys for Tots program camped out as usual on the roof of what local business?
A. Hap’s Grill
B. Pottery 101
D. Krispy Kreme
8. This past week, Piedmont Cheerwine Bottling bought Sun Drop Bottling Co. of Concord and its distribution rights in Rowan, Iredell, Stanly and Cabarrus counties. Starting with Bill and Margaret King, the Sun Drop brand goes back to what year?
9. Salisbury’s WSAT 1280 AM radio station is now simulcast on FM. What FM channel is it?
10. According to Downtown Salisbury Inc., the central business district has seen a net increase of how many businesses over the past year?