Christmas Bureau seeks volunteers for October signup
SALISBURY — The Rowan County Christmas Bureau will take applications for holiday help a month earlier than usual — in October instead of November — and needs volunteers to help with the process.
Coordinated by the Rowan County United Way, the bureau provides a central place where families can apply for help giving their children gifts for Christmas. The most common request is for clothing, followed by toys and food.
Participating agencies are:
• The Salvation Army Angel Tree, which provides items for children, bought by concerned citizens in the community or with local donations.
• The Salisbury Post Christmas Happiness Fund, which provides $35 vouchers for parents to make the purchases themselves, funded by the newspaper’s readers.
• Project Santa, a Denton-based ministry which reaches out to eastern Rowan County families in need with gifts.
Applicants are screened for income eligibility. They then list the needs of their children who are 12 and under. Items are distributed at a later date.
Application dates are:
• Friday, Oct. 19, from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
• Saturday, Oct. 20, from 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• Saturday, Oct. 27, from 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
The application site is the J.F. Hurley YMCA at 828 Jake Alexander Blvd. W.
Volunteers are needed to take applications, manage applicant scheduling and manage the intake process. They should arrive 30 minutes early for training, and can sign up through the United Way office for different blocks of time.
Interested volunteers should contact the Rowan County United Way office at 704-633-1802 or email Jenny Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up.
Volunteers must be at least 18 years old.
Those applying for help should bring the following records:
• Birth certificates for all children age 12 and under.
• The applicant’s driver’s license or other photo identification, along with guardianship papers if the applicant is not a parent.
• If no current ID is available, bring lease and utility bill.
• Up-to-date Medicaid card for each child.
• If not on Medicaid, bring proof of all income and expenses, food and nutrition program voucher and/or unemployment benefits letter.
The Salvation Army and Hurley Y are United Way agencies.