Ad Spot

October 16, 2021

Greenway expansion, traffic signal maintenance submitted for federal funding

SALISBURY — The Cabarrus-Rowan Metropolitan Planning Organization this week endorsed two local projects for federal grant funding. 

The MPO, which prioritizes local transportation projects for funding, chose the construction of a greenway totaling nearly 1 mile from the Meadowbrook neighborhood to Kelsey Scott Park as well as upgrading and and maintaining traffic signals in Salisbury.  

The greenway project would be built adjacent to the Salisbury National Cemetery Annex and connect Kelsey Scott Park to an existing greenway that cuts a path behind Catawba College, through the Country Club Hills area and past Overton Elementary and Knox Middle School. 

For the traffic signal project, the city says there have been no network equipment modifications or upgrades in Salisbury since the current system was installed six years ago. 

“The system is in need of upgrades to the information technology boards, servers, for switches, traffic camera and management processing equipment, including Microsoft licensing,” the city’s project description says. “The system has exceeded end of useful life, and is at risk of equipment failure and inability to enable software upgrades.”

Traffic signals owned by the state and locally would be upgraded as part of the project.

If funding is granted, the projects would receive 80% of the total estimated cost of $4.53 million through the Surface Transportation Block Grant Program. The remaining 20% would be provided through a local match.

Next, the projects will be submitted to the N.C. Department of Transportation, which will prioritize them for funding in the 2020-2029 Transportation Improvement Program.

A similar project funded through the same mechanism was the $8 million Coach Deal Drive extension in Landis and China Grove.

Other projects also funded include purchasing new hybrid, heavy duty buses in Concord and Kannapolis at a cost of $720,000 as well as converting the intersection of Poplar Tent and Harris roads in Concord to a reduced conflict intersection and widening Poplar Tent Road at a cost of $15.08 million. 

Comments

Nation/World

Clinton recovering from infection 

Crime

Teen charged in shooting at Mount Tabor High School held without bond

Nation/World

Marine officer receives reprimand for Afghanistan criticism

Elections

Beasley top fundraiser in third quarter for Senate race

Farm & Garden

Nearly 1-ton pumpkin sets record at state fair

High School

High school football: Loeblein throws record six TD passes for Falcons; Cavs, Hornets romp

Nation/World

UK lawmaker stabbed to death in terrorist act

Crime

Cooleemee man arrested after trading gunfire with Davie County investigators in Rowan

Elections

Salisbury council candidates list crime reduction, hiring a new city manager among city’s top priorities

Crime

Blotter: Man charged with trio of vehicle break-ins

Coronavirus

Catawba College will require COVID-19 vaccinations in 2022

Local

City selects Sada Stewart Troutman as new Downtown Salisbury Inc. director

Local

Rowan Republicans’ Lincoln-Reagan Dinner brings conservatives together for night of speeches, awards

High School

Photos: South Rowan volleyball team’s Senior Night, Falcons’ unblemished SPC season

Coronavirus

Four new COVID-19 deaths make 433 in Rowan since start of pandemic

Nation/World

Bill Clinton in hospital for non-COVID-related infection

Local

Quotes of the week

High School

High school volleyball: West edges South for unbeaten SPC season

Coronavirus

FDA panel endorses lower-dose Moderna COVID shot for booster

Nation/World

Full pension restored for FBI official fired under Trump

News

Former Gov. Perdue leading standardized testing board

Elections

Salisbury mayoral candidates Alexander, Heggins talk leadership style during Chamber of Commerce forum

Local

Photos: Rowan deputy’s funeral procession passes through downtown Salisbury

Crime

24-year-old man jailed for kidnapping, rape charges